Responsible for managing the procurement and planning of all material requirements and work flow in a custom job shop environment. Coordinates scheduling, planning and purchasing activities to support machining and assembly departments by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with the manufacturing manager to effectively plan on-time machine delivery based on available manpower and materials
- Competitively quote and purchase machine fabrications and commercial components including castings, steel, electrical and hydraulic components, gears and bearings
- Visit and select approved fabricators, suppliers and sub assemblers
- Negotiate discounts, terms and delivery cycles with suppliers and vendors
- Strategically plan supplier deliveries to meet demanding project schedules
- Research and suggest alternative suppliers to the Engineering Department
- Process custom project orders assigning material delivery dates based on custom part availability and purchasing those parts.
- Advise manufacturing associates of material shortages or deliveries
- Assist engineering in the selection of new suppliers, advise them of manufacturing problems based on designs and participate in the ECN review process.
- Building strong collaborative relationships with internal departments including Engineering, Manufacturing, Finance and Quality
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: The Materials Manager will lead the Production Support team and is responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of the department while reporting to the Manager of Manufacturing. Responsibilities include planning, assigning and directing work
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s degree, five to ten years related experience/training in materials or supply chain management or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze and interpret mechanical drawings, technical procedures or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, employees, suppliers, and customers. Ability to communicate verbally and in writing with customers, suppliers, and fellow employees.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
REASONING ABILITY: Must possess the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Must be able to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and peripheral vision.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The employee may occasionally be exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet but occasionally moderate to loud.
TRAVEL: Minimal travel required at times to supplier or customer locations.
TO APPLY: Please submit your resume to Brian Robbins in our Human Resources Department.